Saturday, December 27, 2008

Subject assignment ("Ontwerpopdracht") nr. 3: Musical Layers

The following (in Dutch) is an assignment I do with all of my 2nd and 3rd year classes. It has to do with the idea of musical layers, which conforms with chapter 3 in the INTRO 2 textbook about "musical depth." First I show a painting by Vermeer, The Love Letter, in order to introduce a discussion about depth in painting, namely over foreground, middleground, and background.
Then I switch over to depth in music, and the following layers: vocal-layer, chord-layer, bass- layer, rhythm-layer, and sometimes the background voices-layer. I then distribute the following handout. It is my analysis of the form of the original recording of the Beatles' song Let it Be. I like to use this song because it has a very logical instrumental buildup. I play very short fragments of each section, stopping the cd and each asking the students what instruments they hear, and which layers are represented. They find it very exciting to do. We do it together until the guitar solo, then for the rest they have to work alone or with a partner. At the end of the process I check the results.

Analyse van opname van The Beatles, Let it Be

VORMDEEL (onderstreep instrumenten)

INTRO ___________________________

COUPLET

a. “When I find myself in times of trouble…” ________________________________

b. “And in my hour of darkness….” ________________________________


REFREIN

“Let it Be, Let it Be…” ________________________________

COUPLET 2

a. “And when the broken hearted people…” ________________________________

b. “For though they may be parted….” ________________________________

REFREIN

“Let it Be, Let it Be…” ________________________________

“Let it Be, Let it Be…” ________________________________

TUSSENSPEL ___________________________

SOLO ___________________________

REFREIN 3

“Let it Be, Let it Be…” ________________________________

COUPLET 3

a. “And when the night is cloudy…” ________________________________

b. “I wake up to the sound of music….” ________________________________


REFREIN 4

a. “Let it Be, Let it Be…” ________________________________

b. “Let it Be, Let it Be…” ________________________________

TUSSENSPEL (OUTRO) ___________________________

No comments: